Certificate no 3482
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Bristol
Vessel type Dumb Barge
Current use Community Vessel
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.bristolcruisingclub.co.uk

Construction

Builder Hill, Charles & Sons, Bristol
Built in 1944
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Towed
Primary engine type None
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
90.00 feet (27.43 m)
Breadth: Beam
18.00 feet (5.49 m)

History

SABRINA 6 was built in 1944 as one of six dumb barges bearing the same name for the Ministry of War Transport. One of her sister ships, SABRINA 5, is also a surviving registered historic vessel and is now a museum exhibit owned by the Canal and River Trust in Gloucester Docks.  As a 90 foot long unpowered barge, SABRINA 6 was built to be towed by a tug with the ability to distribute cargo quickly inland. From 1948 onwards she was operated by British Waterways until she was taken out of service and subsequently purchased by Bristol Cruising Club in 1985 as an unseaworthy wreck. She is now operated as a ‘club house’ for a thriving community boat club in Bristol City Docks. She is one of two historic vessels in the harbour operated by a club, the other being JOHN SEBASTIEN which is also on the National Register of Historic Vessels. 

Key dates

  • 1944

    Built by Charles Hill & Sons of Bristol for the Ministry of War Transport

  • 1948

    Operated by British Waterways

  • 1985

    Bought as a wreck by Bristol Cruising Club and restored and operated as their club house

  • 1999

    Full out of the water overhaul, including replating and an interior refit

  • 2014-2017

    Substantial work to improve accessibility.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Bigmere at the quay at Ellesmere Port. The hold is open to the public and contains exhibition space. Ref: 95/12/1/20

Dumb Barge built 1948 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich