Previous names

  • 1903 - 1925 Wave
  • 1925 Peggy
  • 1929 - 1929 Sea Hawk (not registered)
Certificate no 3603
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Pilot Vessel
Location Bristol
Vessel type Pilot Cutter
Current use Sailing
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Rowles, E C, Pill, near Bristol
Built in 1903
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
0.58 feet (0.18 m)
Depth
7.50 feet (2.29 m)
Air Draft
49.50 feet (15.09 m)
Length: Overall
45.33 feet (13.82 m)
Tonnage: Gross
23.00

History

PEGGY was built for the Bristol Channel pilot Arthur Case in 1903 at Pill. Tragically, he was drowned several years later when boarding a ship off Nash Point. PEGGY then became a Cardiff boat, later moving to Newport.

She was converted to a yacht at Moodys at Swanwick in the 1920s. By the 1960s she was in poor condition and Alan Savage carried out extensive work, including replanking the topsides. When the Pridie family bought her the bottom leaked, the decks were in a poor state and the mast needed serious attention. The Pridie family enjoyed several years of sailing, patching the bottom as necessary. Originally the hull had been bronze fastened but a previous owner had replaced some planks with ungalvanised nails which caused a reaction with the bronze.

On a return trip from the Scilly Islands a friend mistook a Channel buoy for something else and the subsequent collision broke the bowsprit, split the stem and the topmast came down. They kept the boat afloat for six hours before being towed into Padstow by the lifeboat. Here they met a shipwright, Nimrod Bawden, who fitted a new stem and replaced the planking surrounding it.

The Pridies decided to replank the bottom and by 1981 a fair bit had been replaced. PEGGY competed in the OGA Race at Dartmouth but on the return to Bristol disaster hit again when they sat on a pile and punched a hole in the hull. She was salvaged and it was realised that she needed a major refit.  The boat was replanked and the deck beams replaced. In 1985 she was refloated and the following winter the deck was replanked. Much of the deck furniture had been salvaged and reused. A new hollow Noble mast and spars were added with new sails.

Originally PEGGY would not have had an engine, however she had acquired one at some stage and this was replaced with a similar one that had been a stand by generator. It was marinised together with a second hand gearbox. She was back sailing in 1986.

Sources

Gaffers Log 1969/2 Classic Boat Magazine, September 1991.

Key dates

  • 1903

    Built as a pilot cutter called WAVE by EC Rowles of Pill near Bristol for Richard Arthur Case

  • 1907

    Bought by pilot T. Alexander of Cardiff 

  • 1913

    Bought by pilot SJ. Small of Newport 

  • 1925

    Converted to yacht by AH. Moody and Sons of Southampton and name changed to PEGGY 

  • 1929

    Name changed to SEA HAWK although change not officially registered

  • 1931

    Bought by William Perrott of Cork

  • 1939

    Re-purchased by AH. Moody and Sons of Southampton

  • 1952

    Purchased by RC. King of Littlehampton

  • 1961

    Purchased by Dennis Goodland of Bristol

  • 2018

    Purchased by present owners 

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

sailing

Archived, built 1875 by Davis & Plain, Cardiff

port side view

Registered, built 1962 by Perkins, R J & Sons, Whitstable

Olga undersail, after her restoration

National Historic Fleet, built 1909 by Bowden, J, Porthleven

Cariad sailing

Registered, built 1904 by Rowles, E C, Pill, near Bristol