Previous names

  • 1963 Coigach
Certificate no 3628
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Rhu
Vessel type Yawl
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire
Built in 1963
Hull material Wood
Rig Yawl
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.48 feet (3.50 m)
Depth
6.73 feet (2.05 m)
Air Draft
51.51 feet (15.70 m)
Length: Overall
35.07 feet (10.69 m)
Tonnage: Gross
11.65

History

COIGACH was originally built for William Francis (Frank) Robertson in 1963 by McGruer & Co. Ltd in Dumbarton. Her McGruer Yard Number was 603 and she was listed as an auxiliary yawl of 17 tons. In 1969 she entered into joint ownership between Frank Robertson and George Teacher Dunlop who sailed her for another 14 years. In 1983 she was purchased by William Craig Downie, who sailed her for another 15 years. In 1998 she was purchased jointly by David Denholm and Jeremy MacLehose. When Jeremy MacLehose died in January 1999, David Denholm became the sole owner. COIGACH is constructed from mahogany and larch on laminated frames. In 2004/2005 the original wrought iron strap floors were replaced with bronze. Her original engine was a Newage BMC. This was replaced by a Perkins 4108 by WC Downie. A Beta Marine 55 was fitted in 2005. 

Key dates

  • 1963

    Originally built for William Francis (Frank) Robertson by McGruer and Co. in Dumbarton 

  • 1969

    Entered into joint ownership between Frank Robertson and George Teacher Dunlop who sailed her for next 14 years

     

  • 1983

    Purchased by William Craig Downie, who sailed her for another 15 years
     

  • 1998

    Purchased jointly by David Denholm and Jeremy MacLehose

     

     

  • 1999

    David Denholm became sole owner on death of Jeremy MacLehose
     

  • 2004/5

    Original wrought iron strap floors replaced with bronze

     

  • 2005

    Perkins 4108 engine fitted by WC Downie replaced with Beta Marine 55 engine 

  • 2019

    Reviewed in Yachting Monthly, pages 250-253

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Molin under sail

Registered, built 1929 by Burt, R S

MOOSK starboard side

Registered, built 1906 by Thomas, W E, Falmouth

Iseult being worked on

Registered, built 1909 by Ashton & Kilner, Barry & Ian, Poole

Valerie - under sail following restoration

Registered, built 1895 by Stow & Sons, Shoreham