Certificate no 3650
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Langley Mill
Vessel type Canal Boat
Current use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Fellows, Morton & Clayton, Uxbridge
Built in 1935
Hull material Wood
Rig
Number of decks
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type
Boilermaker

Dimensions

Length: Overall
72.00 feet (21.95 m)
Tonnage: Gross

History

BEECH was built by Fellow's, Morton & Clayton ltd, at their Uxbridge yard in 1935. While working for FMC she was paired with the butty ELSIE. She was in regular service with the company until the 1st of January 1949 when FMC were taken over the British transport commission. In 1962 she was bought by the Kennet Carrying Company where she was used to carry furniture between Shepperton and Shiplake on the River Thames. She later fell in to a state of disrepair and was then acquire by Ken Ward who tragically died before restoration was completed. She was restored at Charity Dock in 1986. Her original semi-diesel Bolinder engine is now in the boat museum at Stoke Bruerne.

Key dates

  • 1935

     Built by Fellow's, Morton & Clayton Ltd

  • 1962

    Bought by the Kennet Carrying Company

  • 1986

    Restored at Charity Dock in 1986.

     

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Jemima at Titford Pools

Registered, built 1964 by Abbott, Holt

Delhi - as Water Viper

Registered, built 1929 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Ramillies - out of the water

Registered, built 1960 by Harris Brothers, Netherton

Don - when working on the Severn & Canal Carrying Company Ltd

Don

Registered, built 1910 by Severn & Canal Carrying Co Ltd, Stourport