Previous names

  • 1971 - 1971 Speedwell
Certificate no 3701
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Harefield
Vessel type Canal Boat
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Braunston Boats Ltd
Built in 1971
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard
Boiler type
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Depth
2.30 feet (0.70 m)
Length: Overall
35.00 feet (10.67 m)
Tonnage: Gross

History

History

SPEEDWELL was originally built at Braunston for Union Canal Carriers as a hire boat by Braunston Boats Ltd. She was advertised as a Special Single Class Narrowboat/Tug. She went into private ownership in the eighties where she was moored at Reliance Wharf, Kingsland Basin.  During the 2000s she was moored at Pryford Marina on the River Wey.

By 2021 SPEEDWELL had changed ownership and was moored at Scrubbs Lane, London. She is now moored at Hillingdon Narrowboats Association at Harefield on the Southern Grand Union. The front cabin that originally housed an elsan with a sink and water has been sympathetically restored to a simple kitchen unit and small shower, She has the original engine installed and has been extremely well maintained. The original wooden gunwhales are still in place. There is little difference to the outside appearance of her, apart from she is now grey, and I believe she was originally green and red. In 2014 SPEEDWELL'S cabin was re-skinned by Simon Wain at Brinklow Boats. In 2019 Speedwell was overplated by MD Farrington, who is from Braunston.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Ibex inside

Registered, built 1926 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Oates

Registered, built by Birmingham Canal Navigations Company, Birmingham

recently painted

Registered, built 1929 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Seal moored

Registered, built 1873 by Hickman, Alfred, Bilston