Previous names

  • 1960 Maid of Conway
Certificate no 3675
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Yacht
Location Gweek
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Crossfield Brothers, Conway
Built in 1960
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Inboard
Boiler type None
Boilermaker Unknown

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
12.60 feet (3.84 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Air Draft
7.42 feet (2.26 m)
Length: Overall
42.00 feet (12.80 m)
Tonnage: Gross
12.43

History

The MAID OF CONWAY is a 1960 Crossfield Twin-Screw 42ft. Classic Motor Cruiser. With Twin Ford diesel engines, wood (larch on oak) with a steading mast. Build registered Beaumaris, North Wales. It has been painstakingly and professionally restored in Gweek, Cornwall, over a four year period, by the last owner Mr Paul Morgan keeping traditional throughout with unseen modernization. The present owners planning to complete the jobs that Paul has started and plan to launch her again in the Summer of 2021. She was originally launched from build with two Lister Blackstone 4 stroke single acting engines but at a later re-engine in 1987 for 2 x Ford 2700 Series which now have about 1100hrs on them.

She has had a number of owners since she was built.  She was originally owned by Arthur Elwyn Macdonald of Kyle House in 1960 who sold her in 1963 to Harry Stanley Smith who kept her until 1971 and was bought by  Frank Edward.  It changed hands agin in 1971 to George Drew until 1979. During a 40 year period she was sold a further to a number of owners until 2021 when she was purchased by her current owner.

Key dates

  • 1960-07-02 First Ownership from Build
  • 1963

    New owner - Harry Stanley Smith of the White House 46 Carrwood Road, Wilmslow Chester

  • 1971

    New owner - Frank Edward Pearce of 5 Halters Path, Hamworthy, Poole, Dorset

  • 1971

    New owner - George Drew Hansford of 47 Grosvenor Road, Easton, Portland, Dorset

  • 1979

    New owner -  Kevin William Simmonds of 21 Overbury Close, Weymouth, Dorset

  • 1979

    New owner - Kevin William Simmonds of 21 Overbury Close, Weymouth, Dorset

  • 2017

    New owner -  Paul David Morgan of Maid of Conway Greek Classic Boatyard, Helston, Cornwall

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Hilfranor returning from Dunkirk 2015

Registered, built 1935 by Walton Yacht & Launch, Walton-on-Thames

Shianne - underway

Registered, built 1937 by Adam J & Sons, Gourock

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight