Built in 1936 by Harland & Wolff and delivered to GUCC Co and allocated a fleet number 110b. BERKHAMPSTEAD was one of two vessels to be gauged along with BAINTON. She as also one of twenty three vessels yo be health registered at Bentford.
In 1944 she was not in active in the fleet and had minor alterations done in 1945. In 1948 she was nationalised into British Transport Commission where she was part of the fleet and paired with several vessels including PURTON, TADWORTH and TARPORLEY.
It is reported that between 1965-67 she was based Bulls Bridge and owned by British Water Board and was finally replaced in 1979. Before being offered for tender and owned by Roger White it is alledged that a decision was made to scrap either BERKHAMPSTEAD or AYR. it was decided that AYR would be saved, however accidently she was cut up in error, and to cover up the mistake BERKHAMPSTEAD was repainted in white and moved Gayton Arms.
During the 1980's and 2000's she was laid up and finally sold Shewsbury and Newport Canal Trust.
Ordered places Harland and Wolff.
Nationalised into British Transport Commission fleet
Paired with TADWORTH
Paired with PURTON
Paired with KENILWORTH
Sold to Roger White and paired with BAINTON
Laid up at Welton Wharf
Laid up at Weedon Wharf
Given to Shrewsbury and Newport Canals Trust via a deed of trust from owner Roger White
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org