Details
Construction
Dimensions
History
DIANA is rivetted steel/wrought iron Thames Lighter built c’1890 by London builders unknown. Typical of many hundreds of ‘dumb barges’ used on the Thames, canals, tributaries, docks and Port of London for the transport of cargo, aggregates and supplies between wharves, warehouses and ships. Diana is one of the oldest surviving Thames lighters still in existence. Usually towed singly or in large groups by river or dock tugs, they were also hand rowed by one man going with the tide, this is known as ‘barge driving’ and is still celebrated in the annual Thames Barge Driving Match.
She has been a regular entrant, finishing second on one occasion, and was recently driven by Graham Smith whose family are former owners. Little is known of DIANA'S past but it is believed that the barge was rescued having sunk near Southend, a new steel hull has been fitted at some point but there are no available records to show where and when this took place although we do know some welding work was carried out at South Dock Marina. DIANA is part of the collection of historic vessels at Trinity Buoy Wharf where she is part of the ongoing conservation and restoration program.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk