Previous names

  • 1942 - 1952 ML 162
Certificate no 393
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location NONE
Vessel type Fairmile B
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor
Built in 1942
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
18.59 feet (5.67 m)
Breadth: Beam
18.59 feet (5.67 m)
Depth
4.59 feet (1.40 m)
Length: Overall
107.41 feet (32.76 m)
Tonnage: Gross
126.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Formerly ML162, this Fairmile ‘B’ Motor was built in 1942 by A.M. Dickie & Sons, Bangor. It was equipped with two Hall Scott Defender Petrol engines on Lease/Lend from America, capable of driving the boats at a speed of 20 knots maximum for short periods or 16 3/4 knots continuous speed for long periods.

ML162 had an illustrious career during the Second World War, as not only did the crew have the distinction of having shot down six enemy aircraft and taken part in the sinking of a submarine, she was also mentioned as being highly commended for the part played in the D-Day invasion.

After the war, ML162 was transferred to the Royal Netherlands Navy where she continued in service for a further two years. She was then sold off and taken to Great Yarmouth for conversion to a passenger vessel. Emerging from the refit as GOLDEN GALLEON, she began her new career in 1952 taking as many as 150 tourists on excursions along the East Anglian coast and the Norfolk Broads. She continued in this role until the 1990s when her final owner, unable to keep pace with stringent safety regulations, left her to rot. The Broads Authority then stepped in to dispose of her and the work was carried out in January at St Olaves.

Sources

World Ship Society British Armed Forces Small Craft Historical Society, Survivors Register, 1998
Hamer, Geoffrey, Trip Out 1995/6 - A Guide to the Passenger Boat Services of the British Isles, G P Hamer, 1995
Johnston-Bryden, Richard, Classic Boat: From Norwich to the North Sea,  August 1998    
Classic Boat:Tell Tales: Fairmile Funds, January 1997   
Box, Peter, Ships Monthly: More on Fairmiles, January 1993

Key dates

  • 1941

    Vessel built by A M Dickie & Sons, Bangor

  • 1942

    Vessel commissioned and stationed with 62nd ML flotilla, Portland

  • 1944

    Vessel transferred to Kirkwall on target towing duties, then sent to 69th ML flotilla based Felixstowe

  • 1947

    Vessel sold off at Itchenor at Admiralty disposal sales

  • 1947

    Entered service with Western Lady Ferry Service

  • 1990s

    Disposed, at St Olaves

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

RML 526 - post hull & deck restoration

Archived, built 1942 by Solent Shipyard Ltd, Lower Swanick

stern view

Archived, built 1941 by Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie

Archived, built 1943 by Anglo-American Nile Tourist Company, Cairo

ML 293 - port side.

Archived, built 1941 by Dorset Yacht Company, Hamworthy, Poole