Certificate no 411
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Location Oulton Broad
Vessel type Thames Bawley
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Haywood, Leigh on Sea
Built in 1939
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
13.61 feet (4.15 m)
Depth
2.98 feet (0.91 m)
Length: Overall
40.00 feet (12.20 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built between 1900 and 1930 by Heywoods, Southend-on-Sea, as a Southend Bawley or cockle boat, MONARCH's hull is carvel built of oak frames and pitch pine planking coated in ferro concrete and her current engines are twin inboard 4 stroke diesels by Standard model TEF20 made in 1955. She worked as a passenger boat carrying 72 passengers from Southend beach during the summer and dredged cockles in the off season. She was commandeered by the Royal Navy during World War II and took part in the Dunkirk evacuation. Reverting to her previous trade, she continued until 1972 when she was converted to accommodate sea angling parties. In 1975 she was refitted as a private cruiser by East Midland Boat Service. Her present owner has her based at Cookham on the River Thames. In Spring 2007, work was carried out to fix a rather severe leak. The boat was put on the hard at Shepperton Marina, the leak was located and remedial action was progressing well.

Sources

Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Good Intent - bow view - June 20

Registered, built 1860 by Starbuck, John & Robert, Gravesend

Emma - bow view

Registered, built 1845 by Bundock Brothers

Saxonia under sail

Registered, built 1930 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

Alpha under restoration

Registered, built 1938 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea