Certificate no 715
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Location Woodbridge
Vessel type Thames Bawley
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Starbuck, John & Robert, Gravesend
Built in 1860
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
14.00 feet (4.27 m)
Depth
6.00 feet (1.83 m)
Length: Overall
37.97 feet (11.58 m)
Tonnage: Gross
18.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

GOOD INTENT was built in 1860 as a fishing boat for owners in Harwich and worked under sail for 67 years. She was constructed of larch on oak and had a loose footed mainsail. She fished the Thames estuary, based in Kent and was built with a wet well for fish to be kept alive until they reached market. She fished until 1927 and was then rescued from a mud berth in 1930 by Mr Puttifer who converted her to a yacht in 1936.

During the Second World War, GOOD INTENT remained hidden on the backwaters at Walton on the Naze and was used as an arms cache. She was then sold to Mr P Conly of Essex and used as a private yacht until 1988. At that time, she was bought by Mr Frank Knight of F Knight Boatyard, Woodbridge, Suffolk for a pound on the conditon that she was restored. Between 1988 and 1992, work continued slowly inbetween customers. In 1992, she was bought by the present owner who completed the work in 1994.

Since 1994, GOOD INTENT has sailed privately and has been used as a charter vessel.  In June 2020 it was reported that the vessel is urgently seeking a new home to undergo repairs - and being placed either under cover or in a mud berth, covered, until conservation work can begin.  Contact: Sales@andyseedhouse.co.uk 

Sources

Classic Boat: Standing up to all weathers, March 2012   

Key dates

  • 1860

    Built by John and Robert Starbuck at Gravesend as a Fishing Vessel

  • 1860-1927

    She worked as a Trawler based at Faversham, Kent

  • 1930

    She was rescued from the mud and converted her to a Private Yacht

  • 1939

    New owner

  • 1939-45

    She worked as a munitions store in Walton-on-the-Naze

  • 1988

    New owner

  • 1992

    She was purchased by her present owner who completed the restoration

  • 2019

    Scheduled to be re-decked

Grants

  • February 2013

    Grant withdrawn

  • June 2012

    A Sustainability Award of £1000 towardsdeck repairs was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Emma - bow view

Registered, built 1845 by Bundock Brothers

Alpha under restoration

Registered, built 1938 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

Saxonia under sail

Registered, built 1930 by Aldous & Sons, Brightlingsea

DORIS bow view

National Historic Fleet, built 1909 by Cann, John & Herbert, Harwich