Certificate no 444
Status National Historic Fleet
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Pilot Vessel
Location Liverpool
Vessel type Pilot Cutter
Current use Museum based
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No
Web address www.liverpoolmuseum.org.uk

Construction

Builder Philip & Son, Dartmouth
Built in 1953
Hull material Steel
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 3
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel and electric
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
31.74 feet (9.68 m)
Depth
10.16 feet (3.10 m)
Length: Overall
177.38 feet (54.10 m)
Tonnage: Gross
701.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Significance

The public route around the ship provides an illuminating tour with good information signage that leads visitors through the ship, offering a realistic glimpse of life on board. In particular, the differences between the crew, officers and pilots' accommodation and the mess areas are obvious. In a similar context to all pilot vessels, EDMUND GARDNER represents an international linkage by association with the thousands of ships from virtually every maritime nation to which Liverpool pilots were provided. Similarly a linkage with other pilotage services and related traditions is made.

In the context of a Maritime Museum exhibit, EDMUND GARDNER provides aspects of several types of vessel in one. Her pilots’ accommodation and furniture is formed in the style of the old liners. Her engine room, bridge and both officer and crew accommodation in their different forms resemble that of most merchant ships of the early to late 20th century. Her hull structure also has relevance in that the plating is both riveted and welded.

EDMUND GARDNER was built in 1953 by Philip & Son Ltd of Dartmouth, who also built ferries and lightships for the Mersey. The Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, who held a position of responsibility as the Liverpool Pilotage Authority, had her built as the second of a new generation of large diesel-electric powered cutters to replace the pre-war steam cutters.

Three vessels were built, all designed by Graham & Woolnough of Liverpool, and they were named after the Chairmen of the Board: SIR THOMAS BROCKLEBANK, EDMUND GARDNER and ARNET ROBINSON. Their role was to provide a pilot service to guide the steady stream of ships entering and leaving the Mersey and, for this purpose, each could accommodate up to 32 pilots and 11 apprentice pilots, along with a regular crew. The cutters worked on a rota of one week on station at the Mersey bar, one week on station off Point Lynas and one week serving as supply boat and tender to the boats on station.

EDMUND GARDNER carried out these duties until 1981 when the two remaining large cutters were withdrawn from service and finally replaced by smaller high speed launches. The Merseyside Maritime Museum purchased the vessel in 1982 and she is now conserved in a dry dock and open to the public. The Museum received a Special Award from the World Ship Trust in 2002 in recognition of the outstanding restoration and preservation of the vessel. EDMUND GARDNER is now cared for in a conservation led context by the Engineering & Maritime Conservation Department of the Conservation Division, National Museums Liverpool. A long-standing group of dedicated volunteers assist staff in the day-to-day care and maintenance of the vessel.

Source; John Kearon, Advisory Committee, March 2009

Sources

Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, pp148, 1993 

Key dates

  • 1953

    Built by Philip & Son in Dartmouth as a diesel-electric powered cutter

  • 1953-1981

    Served as a base in the Irish Sea (Mersey Bar) for the Liverpool Pilotage Service providing accommodation for up to 32 pilots

  • 1981

    Withdrawn from service and replaced with high speed pilot launches

  • 1982

    Purchased by the Merseyside Maritime Museum and maintained afloat in Princes Dock, Liverpool

  • 1984

    Moved on a permanent basis into Canning No. 1 graving dock on the Museum's Ships & Quays Site, Canning Dock

  • 1985

    Opened to the public on a seasonal basis

  • 2006

    Closed to the public due to building works connected to the new Museum of Liverpool

  • 2011

    Vessel re-opened to the public

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Olga undersail, after her restoration

Pilot Cutter built 1909 by Bowden, J, Porthleven

Mascotte - starboard view, under sail

Pilot Cutter built 1904 by Cox, Thomas & Son, Newport

Madcap - when owned by Commander John Burfield and berthed in Chichester

Pilot Cutter built 1875 by Davis & Plain, Cardiff

Kindly Light being restored at Gweek - starboard side view

Pilot Cutter built 1911 by Armour Brothers, Fleetwood