Previous names

  • 1949 E P Hutchinson
Certificate no 483
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location NONE
Vessel type Fairmile B
Archive reason Disposed
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Dorset Yacht Company, Hamworthy, Poole
Built in 1941
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Unknown
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
18.33 feet (5.59 m)
Depth
4.75 feet (1.45 m)
Length: Overall
111.87 feet (34.12 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

ML 293 was built by the Dorset Yacht Company in 1941 at Hamworthy and worked as a Second World War motor launch. She joined the fifth flotilla and some of her exploits have been recorded in the book 'Inshore Heroes', notably her raid on the Radar Station in the Elaples area, when supportng the Special Services.

She was the first bowed vessel into Bologne harbour duing the liberation of France, nearly falling victim to the Army sharpshooters exploding mines periously close to her stern.

ML 293 was paid off in August 1945. Her name was changed to SOUTHERN PRINCESS, after conversion to be a pleasure boat off Great Yarmouth.

1949 found her leased to the Humber Conservancy Board, and she was now to be used as a survey vessel. As the E P HUTCHINSON, ML 293 played a role in the planning of the new Humber Bridge.

She was sold to Holland for a period, but not for long as the new owner could not meet his financial obligations and she was resold. Her return journey involved an underwater collision, which was repairable, but the cost of more modifications, financial problems and lack of attention resulted in ML 293 being classed as derelict and as such she remained a while in Bristol Dock.

Sold to Bob Morley, her restoraion to a Naval vessel commenced. After extensive work at Gloucester and Lydney, she returned to Bristol for the Naval Cadets. Under the command of Bob Baker, she served as a training vessel. The Midlands branch of the CFVA lent a hand by replacing her funnel with one more in keeping with her Fairmile shape. For three years she stayed in Bristol, until sold once again. Following on from this, she was berthed Hooe Lake, Plymouth, but was recorded as being disposed of in 2004.

Sources

Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, pp163, Edition 2, 1993 
 

Key dates

  • 1941

    Vessel built by the Dorset Yacht Company, Hamworthy

  • 1945

    Vessel sold into private ownership

  • 1949

    Vessel leased to the Humber Conservancy Board for use as a survey vessel

  • 2004

    Vessel reported to have been disposed

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

RML 526 - post hull & deck restoration

Archived, built 1942 by Solent Shipyard Ltd, Lower Swanick

stern view

Archived, built 1941 by Weatherhead, William & Son, Cockenzie

Archived, built 1943 by Anglo-American Nile Tourist Company, Cairo

goldengallewon

Archived, built 1942 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor