Built in 1943 by Frank Curtis in Looe, Cornwall, EIDOLON is a motor gun boat built for the Royal Navy and designated MGB 325. She is one of 24 such vessels built and would originally have had three Hall Scott petrol engines linked to three propellers.
Little is known of her history during and after World War II. She was converted to a houseboat during the 1980s.
In 1996 she was moored at Hayling Island Yacht Marina and advertised for sale; her specification included a wood panelled deck saloon, lower deck panelled dining saloon and a midships master bedroom in what used to be the engine room – lacking engines, the vessel can only be moved by tugs.
World Ship Society British Armed Forces Small Craft Historical Society, Survivors Register, 1998
The Property Guide: Gunboat makes perfect floating home, pp12, 29 August 1996
Fricker, David, Warship WorldFairmile MLs - some survivors still seagoing, pp15-18, Winter 1988
Built by Curtiss of Looe, Cornwall as MGB325 that saw active service in WWII
Converted into a Houseboat
She received a grant of £1000 from the National Historic Ship’s sustainability fund for restoration
Bought by the present owner
Vessel is thought to be in Portsmouth undergoing conversion back to an MGB
A Sustainability Grant of £1000 towards the cost of remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK. Source: National Historic Ships UK This was later wihtdrawn due to financial restrain
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org