Light Vessel NORTH CARR cost £15,430 to build and was on station at North Carr from 1933-1975. During World War II, the station was moved between the Mull of Kintyre and the Mull of Galloway as a convoy guide for ships entering Clyde.
In 1952, a major refit was undertaken, installing new diesels and generators. A radio beacon was installed in 1954 and two years later the Watch House was built. On 8 December 1958, she broke her moorings and the Broughty Lifeboat and all her crew were lost in the attempted rescue. The light vessel crew were eventually rescued by RAF helicopter.
She was sold out of service in 1975 and laid up at Leith. The following year she was purchased by N.E.Fife D.C. for display at Anstruther and in 1977 opened to the public. In 1989 financial and technical problems resulted in closure. Reopened in 1992, then sold in 1995 to Dundee City Council and again in 2010 to Taymara (Tay Maritime Action). Now on display in Victoria Dock, Dundee.
Although this vessel is on the National Historic Fleet, we are currently lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.
Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, Edition 2, 1993
Martin, Paula, North Carr Lightship: A Maritime Experience, North East Fife District Council, 1992
Williams, Peter, Leading Lights: Light Vessel Directory, Peter Williams Associates, pp57, Volume 1, Edition 3, 1995
St Andrews Citizen: Lightship may not be only vessel bound for new home, 18 August 1995
Built by A. & J. Inglis of Glasgow as a lightship for the Northern Lighthouse Board
Served as a Lightship at Carr Rocks (North Carr)
The station was moved and placed between the Mull of Kintyre and the Mull of Galloway as a convoy guide for ships entering Clyde
Again served as a lightship at Carr Rocks
A major refit was undertaken, installing new diesels Moreand generators
Radio beacon installed
Watch House was built
Broke her moorings and the Broughty Lifeboat and all her crew were lost in the attempted rescue. The light vessel crew were eventually saved by RAF helicopter
Sold out of service after being replaced by an automatic buoy and was laid up at Leith
Purchased by N.E. Fife D.C. for display at Anstruther
Opened to the public
Financial and technical problems resulted in closure
Re-opened to the public
Moved to Dundee to serve as the Headquarters and Training Vessel for the Maritime Volunteer Service’s Tay Unit
Sold to Dundee City Council and berthed in Victoria Dock astern of the frigate UNICORN
A sustainability grant of £2,300 was awarded for signage by NHS-UK
A sustainability grant of £2,300 was awarded for signage by National Historic Ships out of the Strategic Development Fund
Heritage Lottery Fund grant aided 90% of the painting of the superstructure at a cost of around £55,000. Source: Taymara, Sep 13
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com