- 1925 - 1935 Westward
Built in 1925 by Percy Mitchell, Portmellon, MAID MARION is a Cornish fishing lugger registered as PZ 61 in Penzance. She is wooden and of carvel construction and her current engine is a Ford 58 hp diesel plus Parsons conversion called Porbeagle. Her original name was WESTWARD HO and this was changed to MAID MARION when she was sold to John Orchard of Porthleven in 1935. During World War II she set out to assist in the Dunkirk evacuation but was diverted to Le Havre. After the war she was sold to Jack Siley, chairman of Falmouth Docks. She was sold to her present owner in 1965 and is based on the River Deben in Suffolk. She currently takes part in Dunkirk reunions, pleasure trips round the waters of the East Coast and sometimes to France and Holland.
We are lacking information on this particular vessel. If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.
Mitchell, Percy, A Boat Builder's Story, Kingston Mevagissey, 1968
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 55th Anniversary Supplement, Collectors' Books Ltd, 1995
ADLS News: Fleet news, Spring 2015
Built and launched by Percy Mitchell as the Westward for the Husband Brothers who fished out of Mevagissey
Sold to John Orchard of Porth Leven, Cornwall who changed her name to Maid Marion after his baby daughter Marion.
Took part in Operation Arield to LaHarve, France and helped to rescue 3,000 soldiers.
Sold to Jack Siley, Chairman of falmouth Docks and converted for pleasure use.
Sold to John Hunt
Ten percent of top side planking replaced.
Took part in the 50th Anniversary of Operation Dynamo
Had major refit, Six new frames. New Bulwarks planks. half the deck planks eplaced. New 6 cylinder Ford engine, and new wheelhouse and new sails.
Took part in the Queen's Diamond Jubilee on the Thames - picture appearing in Hello magazine.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org