Built in 1929 by J. W. Brooke & Co. Limited of Lowestoft, ST JOAN is a twin screw day yacht. The hull is carvel built of Canadian redwood on steamed oak and elm frames and the decks are yellow pine. The engines are twin 6 cylinder Cummins made in 1995. Her first owner was Nigel Guinness. In her early years, she attracted much attention and was the subject of many articles in seagoing magazines. She was mentioned for her speed and roomy interior – her original engines were Brooke twin 100 hp. She was sold to P. N. Christie in 1934, sold on to F .H. Hayworth who, in turn, sold her in 1937.
In 1940, she was taken over for Air Sea Rescue work and, in 1942, was purchased outright by the Ministry of War Transport and remained in their ownership until 1948 when she was bought by H. B. Fletcher. Subsequently her history is less certain. There were many changes of ownership and she was named JOSAN from 1951 to 1969.
By 1990, once again as ST JOAN, she was in a locked basin at Stourport and was lifted out and taken back to Norfolk for restoration by South River Marine of St Olaves. She has been restored very closely to the original design, incorporating modern equipment. In 2003 she won the Penton Hook Trophy at the 26th Thames Traditional Boat Rally at Henley for best restoration to original design.
ST JOAN took part in the Nelson Flotilla on the River Thames on 16th September 2005 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Lord Nelson's funeral.
Classic Boat: From Norwich to the North Sea, August 1998
Motor Boat and Yachting: St Joan, October 1996
Classic Boat: St Joan - Air-sea rescue saviour, January 2019
Vessel selected for Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
National Historic Ships UK's National Flagship for 2018.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com