Previous names

  • 1942 - 1945 HMS Flycatcher
Certificate no 1428
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Ipswich
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Staniland & Co, Thorne
Built in 1935
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
9.74 feet (2.97 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.14 m)
Length: Overall
42.46 feet (12.95 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

RUMMY THREE is a twin screw day yacht, built by Staniland & Co. at Thorne in 1935 to a design by Hyland Marine. Her official number was 164020. She was privately commissioned by Mr. G. H. Livingstone for the price of £2050. Her hull is carvel built with oak frames and larch planking with a teak superstructure. She has one timber signal mast and her current engines are twin Perkins 4108, with four cylinders and 49 horsepower, made in 1972. She was requisitioned by the War Office on 22 June 1940 for the use of Resident Naval Officer Boston, but was released on 1 December 1941. However, she went back into service on 20 July 1942 as a fire float for the coastal forces unit at Great Yarmouth. She was then acquired by the Ministry of War Transport Department on 3 October 1942. She was renamed HMS FLYCATCHER and became the nominal depot ship of the Royal Naval station of the same name at Ludham, Norfolk. On 14 July 1945, she was laid up at Sandersons yard, Reedham, Northam and, in October 1945, she was sold out of service and re-built by Herbert Woods in Norfolk. Subsequently, she has had five owners.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight