MISTY ISLE is a ring netter on the lines of a classic Scottish MFV and was built in 1948 by J. & G. Forbes of Sandhaven. She was commissioned by Macrae & Broadford of Skye for the herring ring net trade and she worked at this for forty years, before moving on to Stornoway Scallops. In her early days, she was skippered by Evander Macrae and her partner in the ringnet trade was a boat called CASTLE MOIL. Later, Evander and Alistair Macrae bought ACORN from Anstruther to be her partner and Alistair took over as captain. She was reputed to be the most sea kindly, safest and fastest boat in this trade and sailed the Minch in conditions which kept the rest of the fleet at home. In later years, she fished for clams, until bought by a private owner.
MISTY ISLE was a museum ship and kept seaworthy by the Scottish Maritime Museum until 1993. Currently under private ownership once more, she is still located at Irvine at the Scottish Maritime Museum's pontoon.
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org