Certificate no 1668
Status Archived


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Spain
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Ponsharden Ship Yard, Falmouth
Built in 1933
Hull material
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
12.00 feet (3.66 m)
4.98 feet (1.52 m)
Length: Overall
55.97 feet (17.07 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


MAUDALRIC is a motor yacht, built by James Taylor Bates at Chertsey in 1933 and designed by Captain O M Watts. Her official number was 163357. Her hull is carvel built of teak planking on oak frames and she has a pointed bow with a plumb straight stem and canoe stern. Her current engines are twin diesels made by Ford. She was built for Mr. Richard Costain (chairman of Costain Construction) and used as a private yacht based on the River Hamble until World War II. She then became a patrol boat used by the Navy during World War II on the South Coast, with a machine gun mounted on the deck. After the war, she was purchased by Sir Dudley Cunliffe Owen and based in Jersey. In recent years, MAUDALRIC has cruised to the Mediterranean via the French canals and has had major restoration work between 1972 and 1997. Most of this was carried out between 1991 and 1996 and included re-decking, replacement engines and extensive internal joinery work.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G