Built in 1909 by Orvis & Fuller, Ipswich, ARDWINA is a Thames Sailing barge with a carvel built wooden hull of oak frames, pitch pine planking and a steel keelson. Her current engine is a BMC 126bhp made in 1988. Her known history shows her to have been owned by E L & W Goldsmith, sold in 1938 to Metcalf Motor Coasters Limited and in 1951 to Daniels Bros (Whitstable) Limited. She was converted to a barge yacht in 1959 and refitted in 1970 and 1989/90. Her present owner acquired her in 1980 since when she has been raced and sailed and was champion barge in 1982. She is based in St Katherines Dock, London. For much of her working life she was in general trade on the East Coast and London. She was abandoned at sea in 1938 and recovered by Ocean Salvage. Subsequently she was engaged in the stone trade from Portland to Greenwich until 1952 and was a houseboat at Chelsea in the 1970s.
Carr, Frank, Sailing Barges, 1971
Perks, Richard, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen, Conway Maritime Press, 1975
The Last Berth of the Sailorman, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1987
Wood, D G, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1995
Houston, Dan, Classic Boat: Thames Barge Match, September 2005
Simper, Robert, Classic Boat: Thames Barge Match, Revival of the Fittest
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org