Built 1898 by Forrest & Sons Limited, Wivenhoe, ATRATO is a Thames Sailing Barge with a steel hull. Her current engine is a Kelvin K3 66hp built in 1944. She was first owned by Hughes at Greenwich and then by the London & Rochester Barge Company from 1923 when an auxiliary Hamworthy petrol engine was fitted. In 1944 she was rebuilt as a motor barge and sold to her present owner in 1980. For most of her working life she carried general cargo from the Thames and Medway around the coast. She is currently undergoing restoration to her original specification.
Carr, Frank, Sailing Barges, 1971
Perks, Richard, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen, Conway Maritime Press, 1975
The Last Berth of the Sailorman, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1987
Wood, D G, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1995
Simper, Robert, Classic Boat: Revival of the Fittest, pp46-53, October 1999
Built by Forrest of Wivenhoe
Conversion to motor barge, Kelvin K3 engine installed
Sold out of trade, conversion back to sailing barge commenced
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com