Built in 1881 by G H Curel at Frindsbury near Strood, CYGNET is a sailing barge with a carvel built wooden hull. Her current engine is an inboard diesel by Perkins, 65bhp, made in 1980. Her first owner was Walter Wrinch, a farmer of Ewarton, Suffolk and CYGNET was used to carry farm produce to Ipswich, Felixstowe etc and remained in family ownership until 1945. Between 1945 and 1955 she was owned by E Mumford who removed her sailing gear, installed 2 petrol engines and used her for loading cockle shells at Foulness, Essex for sale as chicken grit. Later owners were J Studd of Leigh on Sea and Mr Payne of Queenborough and she was employed as a supply vessel to oil tankers. In 1960 she was sold to Christopher Rydd and in 1988 was sold to her current owner. She is now refitted as a private yacht.
Carr, Frank, Sailing Barges, 1971
Hugh Perks, Richard, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen, Conway Maritime Press, 1975
Society for Spritsail Barge Research,The Last Berth of the Sailorman, 1987
Wood, D G, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1995
Vessel selected to take part in the Avenue of Sail, Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com