GRIMSBY was built as a butty in 1910 by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd. and towed in 1942-1943 by MONARCH. In 1955, she was sold to Willow Wren and her name changed to TEAL. She was then paired with QUAIL in May 1956 and carried coal from Cannock Colliery to Nestles Chocolate factory at Hayes, Middlesex. She was used by the Australian Government Canned Fruit Board in 1960 and, as a publicity exercise, took a consignment of canned fruit from Paddington to Castlefields Wharf, stopping off at various points en route to deliver the cargo. Ansells Brewery of Birmingham owned her from 1964 until 1983. They re-named her SQUIRREL and set her up as a floating pub. She was then bought by Chiltern Chuggers and her name reverted to the original GRIMSBY. Her current owner acquired her in 2004 and since June 2005, GRIMSBY has been paired with MONARCH, thus re-uniting them after 62 years.
Built by Fellows, Morton & Clayton at Saltley Dock, Birmingham as a butty boat for FMC
Sold by FMC to Willow Wren and renamed ‘Teal’
She was paired with ‘Quail’ taking coal from Cannock Colliery to Nestles chocolate factory at Hayes, Middlesex
She was used by Ansells Brewery in Birmingham as a floatingpPub at the top of Farmers Flight and renamed ‘Squirrel’
Sold into private ownership
Purchased by present owner and renamed ‘Grimsby’
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org