Certificate no 1992
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Lighter
Location Liverpool
Vessel type Weaver Packet
Current use Commercial Activity
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1948
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
22.10 feet (6.74 m)
Depth
10.00 feet (3.05 m)
Length: Overall
98.20 feet (29.95 m)
Tonnage: Gross
20.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

JAMES JACKSON GRUNDY was the first of eight motor packets built for ICI and was named after the distribution manager of the Alkali Division in 1947. She was an adaptation from the last three steam lighters which ICI had commissioned between 1944 and 1946. The first of the Packets was the Experiment of 1863 and after this the sailing flats of the area were slowly displaced. The name Packet was applied early to these vessels because unlike the sailing flats the steamers almost worked to a regular timetable, very similar to a mail packet ship. James Jackson Grundy’s design seems to be very much that of an estuarial version of a small flush deck Mersey Weaver Steam Packet/ Coaster built by Yarwood’s from the end of the nineteenth century. These vessel traded around Mersey and Irish Sea waters until the mid twentieth century. From 1948-1980, she transported soda between Winnington and Wallercote works on the River Wever at Northwich and Liverpool and Birkenhead docks. In 1980, she was bought as a training vessel for the Northwich Sea Cadets and continued in this role until she was sold to her current owner in 2001. JAMES JACKSON GRUNDY is now in good working order. All her upper works have been repaired and high pressure water blasted, and her main and auxiliary machinery has been thoroughly overhauled. In 2010 she was returned to daily use carrying wheat cargoes from Liverpool to Sutton Mill Quay, Frodsham, River Weaver.

Sources

Waterways World,  pp64-68, October Volume 7, 1978

Grants

  • September 2012

    Sustainability Grant withdrawn. Source: National Historic Ships UK

  • January 2012

    A Sustainability Grant of £1000 for remedial work was made from the Strategic Development Fund of National Historic Ships UK

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Davenham

Registered, built 1944 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Cuddington - starboard view

Registered, built 1948 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Wincham - port side view

Archived, built 1948 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich