Previous names

  • 1944 Davenham
Certificate no 3651
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Lighter
Location Tanera Mor
Vessel type Weaver Packet
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich
Built in 1944
Hull material Steel
Rig
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Steam
Boiler type
Boilermaker

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
To be confirmed
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Depth
To be confirmed
Length: Overall
102.58 feet (31.27 m)
Tonnage: Gross
210.00

History

S.S.Davenham Is a welded and riveted steel steam barge built by W J Yarwood of Northwich in 1944 and commissioned in 1946 for Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd, Alkali Division. Davenham was decommissioned in the 1960s and her two sister ships were scrapped but fortunately Davenham was saved and had her steam engine replaced with a Gardner diesel engine. The Gardner 8-cylinder diesel, rating approx. 180 hp, was installed in the 1970s. The original steam engine, a 6 ¼ ton, 2-cylinder compound marine steam engine also made by Yarwoods, is now in the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum.

This engine once powered the River Weaver Packet Boat Davenham on her regular travels, bringing soda ash from the Winnington Works at Northwich to Birkenhead or Liverpool for chemical company ICI. Davenham’s journey used to take her down the Weaver Navigation, onto the Manchester Ship Canal and then to the River Mersey. The ship has been transformed from a rusting hulk into a floating cinema boasting high specification cinematic technology and a unique, comfortable interior. The refurbishment has been conducted by a team of highly skilled and dedicated craftsman over 12-month period.

Key dates

  • Built by Yarwoods at Northwich for ICI at Liverpool

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Cuddington - starboard view

Registered, built 1948 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Wincham - port side view

Archived, built 1948 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

Port side view, underway

Registered, built 1948 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich