Built in 1948 by Yarwoods of Northwich for ICI Liverpool, WINCHAM is a small motor cargo vessel designed to carry goods in bulk on the west coast of England. She is made of riveted steel, has a diesel engine and is the last of a class of 5 vessels built for ICI. Her working week would encompass 2 or 3 trips with chemical products from the ICI works at Winnington on the River Weaver to Liverpool and Birkenhead for transfer to deep sea vessels. In 1977, she was sold to Bulk Cargo Handling Services Limited whose colours she still carries. In 1983 she was withdrawn from commercial service and purchased by the Wincham Preservation Society Ltd who maintain and operate her from her berth at Canning Dock alongside the Merseyside Maritime Museum. The Society received a grant of £47,500 from the Heritage Lottery Fund in 2002 and she was maintained in operating condition.
The vessel was disposed of in 2012.
Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, pp183, Edition 2, 1993
Classic Boat: Lottery windfall for Weaver Packet, January 2002
Built by Yarwoods at Northwich for ICI at Liverpool
Sold by ICI to Bulk Cargo Handling Services Ltd, whose colours she still carries
Withdrawn from commercial service and purchased by the Wincham Preservation Society. Moored alongside Merseyside Maritime Museum
Wooden fendering and wasted steelwork around hull replaced and new mask, derrick and rigging fitted
Cargo handling demonstrations given at Merseyside Maritime Museum
Disposed of as scrap by WINCHAM Preservation Trust
A grant was received from Heritage Lottery Fund for £47,500
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org