Previous names

  • Benredan
  • Sarah B
Certificate no 1997
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Annalong
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder McMahon, Fredrick George, Emsworth
Built in 1939
Hull material
Rig None
Number of decks 2
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
10.00 feet (3.05 m)
4.20 feet (1.28 m)
Length: Overall
40.50 feet (12.35 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


ROULETTE is a gentleman's motor yacht built in 1938/9 by F.G. McMahons boat yard in Emsworth and is one of the few vessels to have survived from this yard, about which not much is known. She is the only craft of this specification, being custom designed by Brigadier M.W. Head of Hinton Hall, Lea Cross, Shrewsbury.   Although not confirmed it is thought that ROULETTE took part in the 1940 evacuation from Dunkirk and was used by the Royal Navy as a coastal patrol boat for the remainder of the war, spending some time in the Joint Anti Submarine School (JASS), Londonderry. Over the last fifteen years, she has been used as a houseboat until purchased by her current owners. She was laid up for four years in Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, but last year she was lifted out of the water and is now undergoing a full restoration in County Down. Built with a solid teak hull and decks and an expensive mahogany cabin, she has been well maintained throughout her life and her original fittings have largely survived. However, her teak upper decks and hull are due to be re-caulked and the BMC Commodore engines overhauled. Interior fittings are also being restored and an original Simpson Lawrence sea toilet has been sourced for the heads.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Albaquila sailing

Registered, built 1947 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G