- Dab 11
DAB II was built for Mr.G.J. Smart by J.W.Brooke & Co. Ltd., Lowestoft in the old North yard. In May 1940, at the time of Operation Dynamo, DAB II was taken to Dunkirk by Lieut. R. W. Thompson, RNVR, who crossed the Channel no less than three times in six days. On his last return journey he brought back a load of Dutch soldiers, from the City of Breda, who had fought a gallant rearguard action westward of Dunkirk.
In 1945 she was re-named BREDA, which ingeniously retained all the letters in her original name and commemorated the Dutch soldiers she had rescued. In 1943 her original engines were replaced by 2 Gray Six-91 engines and in 1963 these were replaced by 2 Parkside diesels.
As of 2017, the vessel was undergoing a full restoration in order to be enjoyed by future generations.
- 1931 Built by J W Brooke & CoLtd
- 1937 Sold to Mr L Shakespeare
- 1938 Sold to Claud Hardie
- 1949 Sold to Captain A J Colt
- 1954 Sold to Jack Alderton
- 1958 Sold to Mr & Mrs M V Beer
- 1974 Sold to P & L Farrant
Underwent a major refit with new beams and decks
Original crewman returned on-board vessel for 50th anniversary of Dunkirk evacaution
Sold to current owners
Vessel selected for Avenue of Sail, Queen's Diamond Jubilee Pageant on 3 June 2012
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org