GLADYS’s first owners were William Thomas Whitmore, Harwich (master mariner with 48 shares) and John Howard (master mariner with 16 shares) of Shoeburyness, but in 1902 she was sold to John Lesley Whitemore, Colne, Lancashire on 2 April 1902, although John Howard remained the master. On 15 August 1912, she was sold to Cranfield Brothers Ltd., with Charles Howard as the master. A diesel engine was fitted around 1950 and so she was re-registered. On 6 November 1972, she was sold to the grain importers Mardorf, Peach & Co Ltd, of Berkeley Square, London, who subsequently sold her on 4 February 1999 to her present owners.
Brouwer, Norman J, International Register of Historic Ships, Anthony Nelson, pp152, Edition 2, 1993
Carr, Frank, Sailing Barges, 1971
Hugh Perks, Richard, Sprts'l: A Portrait of Sailing Barges and Sailormen, Conway Maritime Press, 1975
The Last Berth of the Sailorman, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1987
Wood, D G, Barges Sailing Today: Sailing Barge Information Pamplet No: 1, Society for Spritsail Barge Research, 1995
Walsh, Richard, Classic Boat:Thames barging, September 1998
Vessel built by Cann Brothers, Harwich for William T Whitmore
Sold by Cranfield Brothers to Maldorf Peach Ltd
Re-rigged for use as a company yacht based at St Katharine Docks, London
Sold to new owners
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org