Previous names

  • 1934 - 1959 Volunteer
  • 1959 - 1983 Robert A
  • 1983 - 1999 Sea Fitter
  • 1999 - 2002 Robert A
Certificate no 2097
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location Bristol
Vessel type Harbour Tug
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Hill, Charles & Sons, Bristol
Built in 1934
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
15.00 feet (4.58 m)
6.00 feet (1.83 m)
Length: Overall
57.00 feet (17.39 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


Built in 1934 by Charles Hill & Son of Bristol, VOLUNTEER is a harbour tug of steel construction with a British Polar K56 diesel engine. She was delivered to C J King & Sons Limited at Bristol and then sold in 1959 to F A Ashmead & Son Limited and renamed ROBERT A. She was later laid up in Gloucester and sold in 1983 to Drake Towage in Wisbech, whereupon she was renamed SEA FITTER. She was sold in 1999 to Mr Aykroyd in Wisbech and again renamed ROBERT A. In 2002, she was sold to Mr Patterson, moved to Whitehaven and renamed VOLUNTEER. She was then bought by her present owner who plans to return her to her birthplace and restore her to near original condition.

Key dates

  • 1934

    Harbour tug built by Charles Hill & Sons Ltd of Bristol

  • 1959

    Sold  to F.A. Ashmead & Son Limited and renamed ROBERT A

  • 1970s

    Laid up in Gloucester

  • 1983

    Sold to Drake Towage in Wisbech and renamed SEA FITTER

  • 1999

    Sold to Mr Aykroyd in Wisbech and again renamed ROBERT A

  • 2002

    Sold to Mr Patterson, moved to Whitehaven and renamed VOLUNTEER

  • 2008

    Bought by present owner who plans to restore her to near original condition

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

port side view

Archived, built 1916 by Unknown

port side view

Registered, built 1953 by Cochrane, Bow Creek

starboard side

Registered, built 1936 by T van Duijvendijk

Oxford as found

Registered, built 1928 by Unknown