Previous names

  • Kiwi
Certificate no 2138
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Alicante
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Archive reason Overseas Watch List
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes

Construction

Builder Whites of Itchen, Southampton
Built in 1914
Hull material Wood
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.80 feet (3.60 m)
Depth
4.50 feet (1.37 m)
Length: Overall
57.30 feet (17.48 m)
Length: Overall
57.30 feet (17.48 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built in 1914 by Whites of Southampton, NORTHERN KIWI is a gentleman's motor yacht of timber carvel construction, with a diesel engine by Gardner, model 6LX. After launching in 1914 she was requisitioned for the war effort and subsequently used by successive owners until World War II when she was again used for war service and the Admiralty completely changed her superstructure. Post-war brought more changes in ownership until she was left to rot in Northwich. She was then taken to Liverpool to be restored but fell into poor condition again until she was found and bought by her present owner in 1991. After extensive work on her hull, all deckhouses are yet to be built and further fitting out is to be done.

Although this vessel is on the Overseas Watch List, we are lacking information about this particular vessel. If you have any information about this vessel, past or present, please contact us.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight