Certificate no 2335
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Barge
Location Faversham
Vessel type Spritsail Barge
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Hughes, J, Greenwich
Built in 1895
Hull material Wood
Rig Spritsail
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Sail
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
21.50 feet (6.56 m)
Depth
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Length: Overall
86.00 feet (26.23 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

ORINOCO is a Thames Sailing Barge of timber construction, pitch pine and oak and has a Gardner inboard diesel engine model 60W. She was built in 1895 by Hughes of Greenwich and registered in London. Originally owned by Frank W Masons of Waldringfield on the Deben, she was later bought by Cranfield Brothers of Ipswich. In 1966 ORINOCO sank after a collision in the Thames. After refloating and repairs she was sold to Lawrie Tester who refitted her in his yard at Hollowshore and raced her in numerous events where she was seldom excluded from the prize lists. During the storms and floods of 1977 she dragged her moorings and grounded for 6 months waiting for a large enough tide to refloat her. She was then sold to Peter Sands and Robert Poppe who continued to race her successfully. ORINOCO was bought by her present owner in 1998, relocated to Faversham and has been undergoing restoration for more than a decade. During the later stages of the restoration she has resumed her racing career.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Raybel

Registered, built 1920 by Wills & Packham, Milton Creek, Sittingboune

Decima - port side view, underway, Essex.

Registered, built 1899 by Fay, J G & Son Ltd, Southampton

laid up

Registered, built 1901 by Felton, H, Sandwich

Marjorie - under sail

Registered, built 1902 by R & W Paul Ltd.