Previous names

  • Reda
  • Columbine
Certificate no 2377
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location River Thames
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Whistock Boat Yard, Woodbridge
Built in 1938
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.00 feet (3.05 m)
Depth
5.57 feet (1.70 m)
Length: Overall
44.95 feet (13.71 m)
Tonnage: Gross
15.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

JANTHEA was built in 1938 as a twin screw motor yacht, as a one-off at a cost of £1,885 - 15 shillings and named REDA by her owner Austin Reed, a London publican. He took delivery of her in 1939 when Ron Lenthall, who was Ron Tough's Waterman at Teddington, brought her from Suffolk to the Thames on her maiden voyage - but he never had a chance to sail in her. In 1940, JANTHEA was used in the evacuation of Dunkirk. After Dunkirk, REDA continued as an auxiliary patrol vessel and during the war her name was changed to COLUMBINE and she served with the Harwich Patrol until June 1947 when she was re-registered in the ownership of Arthur Foster, an engineer from Chigwell. JANTHEA had 3 other owners between 1950 and 1952 when she was sold to Leeds businessman Arthur Kaye who re-named named her JANTHEA. Her current owners have had her since 1984. JANTHEA is still a very active member of the Dunkirk Little Ships Association and is well known on the Thames.

Sources

Palmer S, ADLS News: Ostend to Anchor, pp16-17, Spring 2015    

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight