Previous names

  • Zelia
  • Rania
  • Arkian
Certificate no 240
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Exeter
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use None
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Rampart, Southampton
Built in 1937
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Petrol
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
10.30 feet (3.14 m)
Depth
3.90 feet (1.19 m)
Length: Overall
44.98 feet (13.72 m)
Tonnage: Gross
0.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

Built 1937 by Rampart Boat Building Works in Southampton for Mr McLoughlin, ARKIAN is a motor yacht with a hull construction of pitch pine on oak. Her current engine is a BMC diesel fitted in 1988. Her initial name was ZELIA but after being commandeered by the Royal Navy for World War 2 service she was renamed RANIA. Her war work included patrol, communications and transport for Naval personnel who needed to move around in the rivers and estuaries of southern England. She took part in the Dunkirk evacuation but no details are known. After the war she had 4 owners in forty years and in 1989 received her third name – ARKIAN. In 1992 following an accident she was at Tough’s yard in Teddington having her transom, after deck and starboard quarter rebuilt.

Sources

Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 1940-1990, Collectors Books Ltd, 1989
Brann, Christian, The Little Ships of Dunkirk: 55th Anniversary Supplement, Collectors' Books Ltd, 1995

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Valdora - port side view

Archived, built 1935 by Dickie, A M & Sons Ltd, Bangor

Maimonde - starboard view

Registered, built 1937 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight

Duessa - port side

National Historic Fleet, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Out of water undergoing repairs

Registered, built 1934 by Saunders Roe, Cowes, Isle of Wight