TRENT 5 was built by Yarwoods of Northwich in 1946 (no. 781 on their register) for the Staffordshire Chemical Co. (1917) Ltd. for the purpose of transporting bulk liquid by-products from Shelton Iron and Steel Works.
In 1960 TRENT 5 was sold into private ownership where the hold was opened to allow use for a wider range of cargoes. During this time the boat was based on the Erewash Canal and played an important role in the successful battle to prevent the Canal’s abandonment. The boat retains a traditional rebuilt boatman’s cabin complete with ‘Star’ range, followed by the unchanged engine room. The hold has been equipped with removable covers both for protection and to restore its appearance as a tanker.
Power is provided by the original and efficient 14 hp. 2 cylinder Lister CEM water cooled engine, for which there are ample spare parts (may be sold separately). This is a first class boat and continues to be used regularly.
As of 2020, TRENT 5 was reported to be up for sale: contact 0121 354 4242 or email@example.com.
- 1946 Built by Yarwoods at Northwich. Vessel No. 781 in their register
Purchased by Mr K J Ebblewhite. Steel tank top removed
- 1966 Purchased by Mr R McDougall
- 1992 Purchased by present owner
- 1998 Hold covered by removable plywood hatch covers
Vessel advertised for sale via Historic Narrow Boat Club newsletter 2018/2
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org