Certificate no 2593
Status Registered


Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Lighter
Location Aire & Calder Canal
Vessel type Humber Keel
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required Yes


Builder Scarr, Joseph & Sons, Beverley
Built in 1905
Hull material Iron
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None


Length: Overall
63.00 feet (19.20 m)
Breadth: Beam
17.40 feet (5.30 m)
8.00 feet (2.44 m)
Tonnage: Gross
Air Draft
To be confirmed


EGRET's hull is reported to be in very good condition.  The vessel underwent various restorative works fairly recently including a new super structure added in 2008, together with a stern tube and engine in 2009. 

Originally owned by D Hurtley & Sons (flour millers)  between 1905 - 1969; D Cook & Sons (dredging contractors) February 1969 - September 1969; Akesters of Wilmington 1969 - 1981; Ernest Waddington 1981 - 2007.  She currently came under her present ownership in 2007.

We are currently lacking information on this particular vessel.  If you have any information on this vessel past or present, please contact us.

Key dates

  • 1905

    Built by Joseph Scarr & Sons of Beverley as a Cargo Lighter for D Hurtley & Sons, Flour Millers

  • 1969

    Bought by D Cook & Sons, Dredging Contractors

  • 1969

    Bought by Akesters of Wilmington

  • 1981

    Bought by Ernest Waddington

  • 2007

    Bought by present owner

  • 2015

    Vessel thought to be on the Aire and Calder Canal in good condition and used as a Private Leisure Craft

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

PIONEER, port side view

Registered, built 1910 by Watson, J S (Gainsborough) Ltd, Gainsborough

Balder - moored (c) Stephen Crocker

Registered, built 1938 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne


Registered, built 1898 by Barraclough, James & Co.

Danum - at Tournus, Burgundy

Archived, built 1932 by Dunston, Richard, Thorne