Certificate no 2615
Status Registered


Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Chertsey
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Osbourne, William, Littlehampton
Built in 1939
Hull material
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Length: Overall
45.00 feet (13.72 m)
Breadth: Beam
11.00 feet (3.35 m)
6.00 feet (1.83 m)
Air Draft
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Tonnage: Gross


AQUABELLE was built as a motor yacht in 1939 by William Osborne of Littlehampton and took part in the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940 and subsequently was commandeered by the Royal Navy for use as an Auxiliary Patrol Vessel based at Brightlingsea. She was transferred to the War Office in November 1941 and returned to her original owner in 1946.

The vessel underwent a restoration between 2011 - 2015 (undertaken by volunteers) in Palavas-les-Flots, Montpellier, France and then returned to the UK in 2019 for engine replacement in preparation for 2020 Dunkirk Commemorations.


Key dates

  • 1939 Built by William Osborne of Littlehampton
  • 1940 Took part in the Dunkirk evacuation
  • 1941 Transferred to the War Office
  • 1946 Returned to her original owner
  • 1960 Re-enginedTwin 3 cylinder engines replaced by twin 6 cylinder engines
  • 2012 Registered in France as a Bateau d'Interet Patrimonial
  • 2015

    Took part in the 75th Anniversary Return to Dunkirk event, May 2015  Source: ADSL

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Photo of Maid of Conway @ 2017 lying at Gweek Classic Boatyard before start of Mr Paul Morgans restoration.

Registered, built 1960 by Crossfield Brothers, Conway

Token exterior August 2020

Registered, built 1948 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Monya - starboard view

Registered, built 1933 by McBryde, W G

Delfino on mooring at Rhu

Registered, built 1965 by Atrill & Sons, H