- DIANA 2 LONDON
DIANA II LONDON was built by Birmal Boats at Southampton in 1931 and is of aluminium/Birmabrite construction with twin diesel engines. Birmal Boats were a subsidiary company of the Birmingham Aluminium Casting (1903) Co. Ltd., who opened a yard at Southampton for the construction of boats in Birmabright, the name under which the alloy used for marine work is known.
DIANA II was the first of a new design undertaken by Birmal Boats, designed for speed rather than deep sea cruising. One special feature was the division of the hull into seven watertight compartments by six w.t. bulkheads.
After successful trials, the vessel was handed over to the owner, Mr Donald Van Den Bergh, a member of the R.M.Y.C, and left for the Mediterranean on 12 August 1931.
In 1939 she was owned by Albert Batchelor of Bleak House, Broadstairs, Kent and in 1947 was still under HM Government having been acquired for war service.
The Motor Boat Largest Light-weight Alloy Yacht, pp182-187, August 1931
Yachting Monthly Diana II - The First 'All-Aluminium' Motor Yacht, pp437, October 1931
Built by Birmal Boats at Southampton
Requisitioned for War Service
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org