Certificate no 2694
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Pilot Vessel
Location Swansea
Vessel type Pilot Cutter
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Harris, P K & Sons Ltd, Appledore
Built in 1959
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 3
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
100.00 feet (30.07 m)
Breadth: Beam
24.00 feet (7.32 m)
Tonnage: Gross
217.00
Depth
8.59 feet (2.62 m)
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

SEAMARK is a Pilot Vessel of steel construction powered by twin 480 BHP Lister- Blackstone diesel engines and was built by P K Harris of Appledore in 1959. She is presently based in Swansea awaiting restoration.

The vessel is believed to be the longest serving pilot cutter in the UK, having served in that role from 1959 to 2002 in Swansea and was the largest pilot cutter to actually go alongside vessels at sea..After decommissioning in 2002 she was transferred to Roath Basin in Cardiff, returning to Swansea in 2011.

Key dates

  • 1959

    Built by P K Harris, Appledore

  • 1959

    Commissioned by the Swansea Pilotage Authority

  • 1987

    Ownership transferred to Associated British Ports

  • 2002

    Decommissioned and transferred to Cardiff

  • 2011

    Ownership transferred to the Pilot Cutter Seamark Charitable Trust

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

sailing

Archived, built 1875 by Davis & Plain, Cardiff

Peggy at sea

Registered, built 1903 by Rowles, E C, Pill, near Bristol

Olga undersail, after her restoration

National Historic Fleet, built 1909 by Bowden, J, Porthleven

port side view

Registered, built 1962 by Perkins, R J & Sons, Whitstable