CRAIGNAI wass a Loch Fyne Skiff of carvel pitch pine construction built by John Fyfe at Port Bannatyne, Loch Fyne, in 1925. She was built as a yacht of pitch pine on oak with an iron ballast keel. Being double-ended she had a wing-engine installation of 15BHP, later replaced by a BMC diesel.
The original owner was William Nesbit Newall of Dalbeattie. She was later owned by Roger Fothergill, a well known yachtsman in the Solent area in the 1960s. A Yachting Monthly magazine article recounts her trip to the Azores which was made after he threw the 'useless' engine over the side. He later sailed her to the Caribbean, an area he spent much of his later life sailing around in a variety of vessels. Roger Forthergill was the last owner of Arthur Ransom's Swallow and, after selling Craignair, went on to own Claud Worth's TERN IV.
CRAIGNAIR came off the British Register at some point due to an overseas buyer and was altered, unsuccessfully, to a cutter. Later, stripped of all her interior, she soldiered on for a few more years until she was rammed by a wayward coaster whilst laying on the scrubbing posts, some time in the 1980s. Steady decline has followed and, after surviving storm, collision, a fall, neglect and vandalism, she still survives.
On the 29th April 2019 she was broken up.
Built by John Fyfe at Port Bannatyne, Loch Fyne
Sailed to the Azores and the Caribbean under the ownership of Roger Fothergill
The vessel was broken up
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact email@example.com