Certificate no 2776
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Fishing Vessel
Subfunction Ring-netter
Location Co. Galway
Vessel type Loch Fyne Skiff
Archive reason Overseas Watch List
Current use Private use
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Noble & Co, James, Fraserburgh
Built in 1926
Hull material Wood
Rig Gaff Cutter
Number of decks 3
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
44.00 feet (13.41 m)
Breadth: Beam
13.67 feet (4.17 m)
Depth
5.67 feet (1.73 m)
Air Draft
4.00 feet (1.22 m)
Tonnage: Gross
15.00

History

FAIRY QUEEN is a large Loch Fyne Skiff, one of the first to be built at the length of 44 ft and with a deck (they are usually 20ft or 30ft and open). She originally had the Zulu lug sail rig.

She was built for James Robertson of Campbeltown who was from a line of fisherman in Dalintober. His log books are with 'The Kintyre Magazine'. FAIRY QUEEN had several different owners whilst in Scotland and one of her owners also owned Auskerry Island, Orkney and used her to ferry the author, Leslie Thomas. FAIRY QUEEN was then sold to Ireland in approximately 1978-80. She had a Kelvin engine and Perkins 6/354 installed in 1967.

In more recent years, a diesel engine was fitted in 1986 and a mast (douglas fir) was also fitted in 2008. FAIRY QUEEN has undergone a lot of restoration over the last 25 years including an oak keel, several larch planks, repair of some oak ribs, a new wheel and steel frame, and new decks.

Update, June 2020: Vessel reported partially sunk

Update, October 2020: Vessel reported out of water after being submerged for several months, but in bad way

Key dates

  • 1926

    Vessel built in Fraserburgh, Scotland

  • 1978-80

    Sold from Scotland to Ireland

  • 2008

    New Douglas Fir mast fitted

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Kirsty at sail

Registered, built 1921 by Fyfe, John, Port of Bannatyne

stern view

Registered, built 1910 by Unknown

CLAN GORDON - starboard side

Registered, built 1910 by Munro, A, Ardrishaig

Archived, built 1895 by Morris & Lorimer, Sandbanks