Previous names

  • 1904 Charles Burton
  • 1942 Silver Queen
Certificate no 2786
Status Archived
a12admin

Details

Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Lifeboat
Location NONE
Vessel type Liverpool Class Lifeboat
Archive reason Disposed
Current use Unknown
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall
Built in 1904
Hull material Wood
Rig Square
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Towed
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
38.00 feet (11.58 m)
Breadth: Beam
10.75 feet (3.28 m)
Depth
4.33 feet (1.32 m)
Tonnage: Gross
11.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

FREELANCE was built as a pulling and sailing lifeboat by Thames Ironworks of Blackwall and was launched at Grimsby in 1904. She became the Caister lifeboat in 1929, remaining in this role until 1941. Sold out of service in 1942, she became a twin screw fishing boat and was renamed Silver Queen.

In the 1960s she became a house boat conversion, later to be found at Skipton in 1980 in need of extensive works. The boat was restored in the 1980s and came to the Isle of Man in the 1990s.

Update, April 2020: FREELANCE reported broken up in Peel Harbour in 2019.

Key dates

  • 1904

    Built by Thames Ironworks of Blackwall

  • 1929-1941

    Served as the Caister lifeboat

  • 1942

    Sold out of service and became a fishing boat

  • 1960s

    Converted for use as a house boat

  • 1990s

    Now based in the Isle of Man

  • 2019

    Broken up in Peel Harbour, Isle of Man.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

The Elliott Gill September 2020

Registered, built 1953 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

William Cantrell Ashley - current livery & condition

Registered, built 1949 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes

Anne Allen following restoration

Registered, built 1932 by Thornycroft, J I & Co Ltd, Hampton

The Chieftain starboard view underway (c) Richard Judge

Registered, built 1948 by Groves & Gutteridge Ltd, Cowes