Certificate no 2810
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Cargo Vessel
Subfunction Narrow Boat
Location Oxford
Vessel type Butty
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Harris Brothers, Netherton
Built in 1928
Hull material Iron
Rig None
Number of decks 0
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
69.50 feet (21.18 m)
Breadth: Beam
6.83 feet (2.08 m)
Depth
2.42 feet (0.74 m)
Tonnage: Gross
20.00
Air Draft
To be confirmed

History

MALVERN is a narrow boat butty built in 1928 by W Harris of Netherton for Fellows Morton & Clayton. At the time of her build she was an iron composite fore cabined horse boat.  She was paired with motor DOLPHIN. In November 1942 MALVERN was sold to Samuel Barlow Coal Co. Ltd. She was later sold to a coal contractor, and then passed on to M.E.Braine, coming from Saltley basin.  In 1962 she was sold to Shropshire Union Cruises at Norbury and disused until 1965 when she was sold into private ownership. It was then, it is believed, that she was converted to motor, In 1985 she had a full length cabin conversion and remains in use as a houseboat.

Key dates

  • 1928

    Built by W Harris of Netherton

  • 1942

    sold to Samuel Barlow Coal Co. Ltd

  • 1962

    sold to Shropshire Union Cruises

  • 1965

    sold into private ownership

  • 1985

    Full length cabin conversion for use as a houseboat

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

ALPERTON (foreground) - with motor DARLEY. Stern cabin and tiller  from starboard side.

Registered, built 1936 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich

stern view

Registered, built 1934 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich

As the Chester Packet circa 1971

Registered, built 1935 by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Woolwich

RAYMOND port quarter

Registered, built 1958 by Barlow Coal Company, Samuel, Braunston, Daventry