Certificate no 2969
Status Registered
a12admin

Details

Function Fighting Vessel
Subfunction Launch
Location Chelsea
Vessel type Admiralty Launch
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder McGruer & Co Limited, Dumbartonshire
Built in 1945
Hull material Wood
Rig Unknown
Number of decks 2
Number of masts 0
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Length: Overall
56.00 feet (17.07 m)
Breadth: Beam
12.25 feet (3.73 m)
Depth
5.25 feet (1.60 m)
Air Draft
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
Tonnage: Gross
23.00

History

Significance

Ex-owner - David Buckland - Arctic Explorer and Arctic Conservationist. Founder of Cape Farewell. ST ALEXANDER is a heritage boat of historic significance, an Admiralty Launch built in 1945 by McGruer of Dumbartin, commissioned by the Admiralty during World War II. She was hung on the side of a larger warship and one of her main functions was to transfer cargo and troops (often officers) between ships while at sea. Her beautiful and functional carvel construction with double diagonal planking of mahogany fastened with copper nails is shaped to create remarkable little wash even at top speeds and strong construction to withstand shells.

Ex-owner - David Buckland - Arctic Explorer and Arctic Conservationist. Founder of Cape Farewell. ST ALEXANDER is a heritage boat of historic significance, an Admiralty Launch built in 1945 by McGruer of Dumbartin, commissioned by the Admiralty during World War II. She was hung on the side of a larger warship and one of her main functions was to transfer cargo and troops (often officers) between ships while at sea. Her beautiful and functional carvel construction with double diagonal planking of mahogany fastened with copper nails is shaped to create remarkable little wash even at top speeds and strong construction to withstand shells.

ST ALEXANDER was originally propelled by steam and still maintains her original steam funnel feature through the main living space. She was re-engined with a beautiful Diesel 6-cylinder Gardner 150 Engine in 1974 by Charles Sadler and Co of Birmingham. ST ALEXANDER is unusually well preserved as her hull was copper sheathed from first construction. Which also suggests she may have served overseas. Her hull is a stunning example of original double diagonal Honduras mahogany construction and not many Admiralty Launch WWII ships are as well preserved. St Alexander has been in Chelsea Harbour Marina for 20 years for the public to enjoy seeing her exterior.

Launch Date 1945. Re-built and Re-engined by Charles Sadler and Co in 1974 from Steam to Diesel Gardner 150 6 cylinder engine. Past Owners at Chelsea Harbour: Max Fezer, David Buckland, Current owner: Marianne Bailey Both Max Fezer and David Buckland have sailed her around France, Mediterranean, Italy, Greece. When she was re-engined in 1974, enough Diesel and water storage was put in to sail to America. She has old marine maps of South America on board so we believe she has made several long journey's in the past. Owner David Buckland made some changes to make ST ALEXANDER a better houseboat and enclosed the outdoor space between the wheelhouse and kitchen situated on the lower deck. The original steam funnel runs through the main living space. (The Wheelhouse has been extended aft to form a deck saloon over the coachroof of the engine room and aft saloon has been built over the aft deck.)

Key dates

  • 1945

    Commissioned by the Admiralty for service in WWII. Hung on the side of a larger warship.

  • 1974

    Re-engined by Charles Sadler and Co from Steam to Diesel.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Moored

Registered, built 1937 by Admiralty, Devonport

MonArk underway

Registered, built 1968 by Nelson 34

Archived, built 1945 by Admiralty, Portsmouth

Regulus - port side

Archived, built 1939 by British Power Boat Co Ltd. Hythe