Previous names

  • 1964 - 1973 Tavy Cleave
  • 1973 - 1978 Exevale
  • 1978 - 2019 Tavy Cleave
Certificate no 3605
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Launch
Location Bilsbarrow
Vessel type Canal Boat
Current use Community Vessel
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions Yes
Info required No

Construction

Builder Abbott, Holt
Built in 1964
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Air Draft
5.50 feet (1.68 m)
Breadth: Beam
6.80 feet (2.07 m)
Length: Overall
36.00 feet (10.97 m)
Tonnage: Gross
4.00

History

TAVY CLEAVE was built in 1964 for Dr Henry Bateman.  Her first voyage from Stourport was to attend the 1964 IWA rally of Boats & Arts at Stratford on Avon, celebrating the re-opening of the southern part of Stratford Canal.

Between 1973-1978 she was used as part of the hire fleet by Canal Pleasurcraft Ltd as Exevale.  Then in 1978 she returned to the Bateman family and returned to being named TAVY CLEAVE.

In 1994 her BMC Petrol engine was replaced with a Vetus M3.10 22HP Mitsubishi diesel engine.

In July 2009 the vessel suffered damage because of an underwater obstruction and was almost sunk, but she was retrieved and repaired before advertised for sale.  Dr Bateman donated TAVY CLEAVE to the Kensington Foundation Canal Boat Project in March 2010 where she was repaired enough to make the long journey 'home' to Lancaster Canal, where she has been ever since.

Her current owners have replaced parts of the gunwales as well as patches to bodywork with latest works during the winter of 2018 including ply-ing her roof.  All repairs have been undertaken sympathetically to the age and design of the vessel.

Sources

Waterways Journal Volume 19, National Waterways Museum, Ellesmere Port

Key dates

  • 1964

    Vessel built by Holt Abbott in Stourport

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Jemima at Titford Pools

Registered, built 1964 by Abbott, Holt

Malaya - following restoration

Registered, built 1926 by Banhams

Ramillies - out of the water

Registered, built 1960 by Harris Brothers, Netherton

Don - when working on the Severn & Canal Carrying Company Ltd

Don

Registered, built 1910 by Severn & Canal Carrying Co Ltd, Stourport