Previous names

  • 1963 - 2019 CHELENGK
Certificate no 3608
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Leisure Craft
Subfunction Yacht
Location Gloucester and Sharpness Canal
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder Rutherford, Birkenhead
Built in 1963
Hull material Wood
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 1
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.00 feet (3.35 m)
Depth
5.54 feet (1.69 m)
Air Draft
To be confirmed
Length: Overall
38.38 feet (11.70 m)
Tonnage: Gross
16.82

History

CHELENGK was built by A Rutherford and Company at Birkenhead in 1963, the year that the company ceased trading, but was not fitted out until 1966. She is a very early example of the famous and innovative 'Nelson 40' hull. Rutherford's Neptune Yard had been well known as a builder of high quality double diagonal ships' lifeboats. Lieutenant Commander Rutherford, the yard's owner, had served with Commander Peter Thornycroft RNR (the 'father' of 'Nelson' motor yachts) during the Second World War. Keith Nelson and Company Limited used A Rutherford and Company to build hulls and decks for fitting out to yacht standards by either Nelson or other contracted yards.

CHELENGK is unusual in that she is of very high quality double diagonal construction in Iroko and Teak, with the outer layer finished 'fore and aft,' and thus resembling a carvel-built yacht. What was to become called the 'Nelson 40' hull design was adopted by Trinity House for their new pilot boats, after sea trials of a 1965 version built in GRP. The hull is completely original and in excellent condition, perhaps reflecting that she spend over 40 years in the hands of one owner, and was under cover ashore for each winter in his ownership. Her original 120bhp Thornycroft engines were replaced with equivalent 120bhp Ford Sabre engines in 1985.

Key dates

  • 1963

    Designed by Keith Nelson and Company and built by A Rutherford and Company at Birkenhead

  • 1966

    Fitting out completed

  • 1985

    Original 120bhp Thorneycroft engines replaced by 120bhp Ford Sabre engines

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Annanetta - moored

Registered, built 1939 by Bunn, Graham, Wroxham

Shontishar Feb 2013 side view

Registered, built 1925 by MacLaren Brothers, Dumbarton

Spero back home

Registered, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath

Gerfalcon mooring

Registered, built 1937 by Osbourne, William, Littlehampton