Previous names

  • 1926 - 1939 Maudorces 11
  • 1939 - 1946 Royal Navy Designation unknown
  • 1946 - 2012 Silver Strand
  • 2012 Shontishar
Certificate no 3619
Status Registered
paula.palmer

Details

Function Passenger Vessel
Subfunction Yacht
Location Greenock
Vessel type Motor Yacht
Current use Private use
Available to hire No
Available for excursions No
Info required No

Construction

Builder MacLaren Brothers, Dumbarton
Built in 1925
Hull material Wood
Rig Schooner
Number of decks 1
Number of masts 2
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 1
Primary engine type Inboard semi diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None

Dimensions

Breadth: Beam
11.50 feet (3.51 m)
Air Draft
5.75 feet (1.75 m)
Length: Overall
46.00 feet (14.02 m)
Tonnage: Gross
21.29

History

Shontishar was built in 1925 by the MacLaren brothers, and commissioned by Mr Unkles as a Gentleman's Motor Yacht.   She launched in May 1926 at Dumbarton and used by family for leisure on the Clyde and west coast of Scotland. 

 In 1939 she served under white ensign as Royal Navy Clyde River patrol and was believed to be stationed at port Glasgow. After the war she was sold back to her original owner for £100 and remained within the family until 2012.  In 2012 she was sold boat to Jonathan Hyslop who intiated a hull restored at Crinan Boatyard. This was completed in 2013 and motored through Crinan Canal to be berthed at Troon. 

 

 

 

Key dates

  • 1926

    SHONTISHAR launched at Dumbarton

  • 1939-1946

    SHONTISHAR served under white ensign as Royal Navy Clyde River Patrol, believed stationed at Port Glasgow. 

  • 1946-2012

    Sold back to Mr Unkles for £100 in 1946, then owned by descendants of Unkles family.

  • 1947

    New Kelvin J4 engine to replace two Bergius engines that operated as main and wing motors.

  • 2012

    Sold to new private owner from Castle Douglas, Scotland

  • 2012-2013

    Hull restored at Crinan Boatyard.

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact info@nationalhistoricships.org.uk

More like this

Delfino on mooring at Rhu

Registered, built 1965 by Atrill & Sons, H

Annanetta - moored

Registered, built 1939 by Bunn, Graham, Wroxham

Chelengk at moorings August 2016

Registered, built 1963 by Rutherford, Birkenhead

Spero back home

Registered, built 1935 by Silver, James A Ltd, Rosneath