Previous names

  • 1958 - 1982 Regard
  • 1982 - 1984 Sir James D
  • 1984 - 1991 Regard
  • 1991 - 2020 Regarder
Certificate no 3636
Status Registered


Function Service Vessel
Subfunction Tug
Location London
Vessel type Tug
Current use Ongoing conservation
Available to hire Yes
Available for excursions No
Info required No


Builder Cook, James W, Wivenhoe
Built in 1958
Hull material Steel
Rig None
Number of decks 1
Number of masts
Propulsion Motor
Number of engines 2
Primary engine type Diesel
Boiler type None
Boilermaker None


Breadth: Beam
18.70 feet (5.70 m)
9.00 feet (2.74 m)
Air Draft
15.00 feet (4.57 m)
Length: Overall
73.50 feet (22.40 m)
Tonnage: Gross


REGARDER was built in 1958 by James Cook of Wivenhoe and delivered to Cory Lighterage Ltd. in London. 

In 1974 the vessel was re-engined with a 500bhp Lister-Blackstone diesel and subsequently, in 1982, was sold to Erith & Dartford Lighterage Co Ltd. and re-named Sir James D.  In 1984 she was sold again, to Braithwaite & Dean Ltd. in London, re-named REGARD and was then sold to Alan C. Bennett & Sons Ltd., London, and re-named Regarder.  In 1994, General Marine Ltd. bought the vessel and re-engined her before she was sold into private ownership in 2020. 

REGARDER was a significant vessel in London's Lighterage and is well known in the pool of London.  She played a role in the construction of the London Eye, holding the lifting gear in place.

It is believed that there are only six tugs of similar type that remain from James Cook's shipyard and only one still operating; REGARDER's 'sisters' include the registered historic vessels TOUCHSTONE and SWIFTSTONE.

REGARDER is currently being conserved.

Key dates

  • 1958

    Vessel built by James Cook of Wivenhoe

  • 1974

    Vessel re-engined

  • 1982

    Vessel sold to Erith & Dartford Lighterage Co Ltd. and re-named Sir James D

  • 1984

    Vessel sold again, to Braithwaite & Dean Ltd. in London, and re-named REGARD

  • 1994

    Vessel bought by General Marine Ltd. and re-engined

  • 2020

    Vessel sold into private ownership

Own this vessel?

If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact

More like this

Valkyrie as she was named Major

Registered, built 1957 by Vokings & Co, Brentford

At the Albert Dock, July 2014

National Historic Fleet, built 1903 by Tranmere Bay Development Co, Birkenhead

TTMS Viking - underway

Registered, built 1965 by Richards Ironworks Co Ltd, Lowestoft

starboard side view

Registered, built 1934 by Yarwood, W J & Sons Ltd, Northwich