SILVER BIRD was built by the well known firm of James A Silver Ltd of Rosneath, in 1938, one of the Silverleaf’s designed by John Bain. She was made to the order of Ian Clarkson MacFarlane, a Glasgow ship-owner.
In 1939 she joined the Clyde River Patrol, along with several other Silver’s boats, searching for mines on the River Clyde, under the command of the RNVR. The Clyde River Patrol was described by one participant as a “sea-going version of Dad’s Army”.
Following her successful war service, in May 1947 she was sold to Ian Edgar Wylie, a company director from Glasgow. He passed her on in October 1948 to a Fish Merchant in Hull by the name of William Cluff. From there, in early 1950 she moved to Cornwall, and stayed in the South of England through a succession of a lucky lucky thirteen owners until moving north to the West Coast of Scotland in June 2019.
Links to Clyde River Patrol information
National Museums of Scotland – Dish presented to skipper of MV Tarka, CRP 1939-45
HISTORYLINKS ARCHIVE – Dr Struan Robertson
Own this vessel?
If you are the owner of this vessel and would like to provide more details or updated information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org